20 March 2007

The Crowbar and The Miner's Canary



So, I recently had this odd little revelation of conciliatory identification. It's an odd one, so hang tight:

I've had some of the worst "church" experiences in my life these past few years. Odd things, rumors about which would instill fear at best and hopelessness at worst - such things would transpire at this strange little place that I had called my "church". I often wondered why, oh why did God have me here, and I often discussed leaving with my husband -- but each time one or the both of us would feel like we needed to stay.

Well, these past few months, as the attendees in our large sanctuary dwindled down to eight adults and seven kids... I began to wonder. Does nobody like me? Does everybody hate me? Must I go eat worms? ...surely, it's my singing, yes? or my wardrobe? my kids or my husband? ... do I smell funny?

So, I began to think that God brought us here to be a crowbar. Yes. We came so that we could stand in stark contrast to those around us... poor yet blessed is not something these people understood. Young yet educated? Funky yet orthodox? I work outside the home? We've followed God's calling to the detriment of our finances? What?? AND we expect people to participate in God-stuff at times other than 9-12 am on Sunday mornings? egads!

-- and so people began to leave. They moved off to find churches where they could be comfortable, or powerful, or be happy, or whatever.

Soon, I began to feel used by God, like a temporary tattoo on the arm of a kid in a sprinkler -- looked nice for a while, but it couldn't stand the dribbles and was ripped to shreds. This is not a good feeling, and so I sang my self-pity song: Big ones, Fat ones, Skinny ones, Juicy ones, look at the little ones squirm!

But, one morning as I lay in bed wondering "How long, oh Lord? How long?", it dawned on me: This "church" was sick for a long time before we got here. I haven't been the crowbar as much as I've been The Miner's Canary. Yup. You know those little birds that were taken down into the mines? They weren't there to whistle while you worked, they were there so that if there was poison in the air, they'd die first. They were the warning signs so that the miners could make a run for it.

I've always been an empathetic person. I'll pick up on the emotional vibes first and then realize what's happening later. So, as this "church" has been dying... it's been killing me.

Now, I'm a big fan of being Christlike and all that, but this is ridiculous. Well, the end is near, and at least I haven't turned green & gone belly up. Yet.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... what a great analogy. Sad that you're in a situation that would create it, but still. Great analogy :)

wezlo said...

Yes, I left you in the poison gas of an old tomb or toxic coal mine. Polly want a cracker?

wezlo said...

And...just for the public record...I guess I didn't so much leave you there as I was shown the door for pointing out that the place was toxic....

Anonymous said...

Wes: You were a canary that wasn't allowed to die.... aww... how sweet... uh......

ProfK said...

This whole discussion is all so... twisted. I still like the crowbar analogy better, but that's me.

A year or so back it occured to me that this church was really being told: "Fish or cut bait." I think the church has since made a choice in this matter. I just wish it was the right one....

Jon Mazarellla said...

If you're a mine canary, then I guess I'm the mine jackass.
Still, even as we look for our various lifeboats from the Titanic of Westborough, I am still struck by the words of Bonhoeffer in his great little book "Life Together."
"God hates visionary dreaming; it makes the dreamer proud and pretentious. The man who fashions a visionary ideal of community demands that it be realized by God, by others and by himself. He enters the community of Christians with his demands, sets up his own law, and judges the brethren and God himself accordingly. He stands adamant, a living reproach to all others in the circle of brethren. He acts as if he is the creator of the Christian community, as if his dream binds men together. When things do not go his way, he calls the effort a failure. When his ideal picture is destroyed, he sees the community going to smash. So he becomes first an accuser of his brethren, then an accuser of God and finally the despairing accuser of himself.
Because God has already laid the only foundation of our fellowship, because God has bound us together in one body with other Christians in Jesus Christ, long before we entered into common life with them, we enter into that common life not as demanders but as thankful recipients.
-------------
Me thinks as long as I or you adopt an attitude of "me/us vs. church" with a huge does of accusation / faultfinding / judgement, then we've missed the point of fellowship. We can piss and moan about how THAT CHURCH has blah, blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc but it still remains whether we like it or not WE are the church at present. Is it our duty to separate and "come out from among them" to flee from the wrath to come? I thought that was something only fundamentalists did & I'm not into hairshirts.

Back to Bonhoeffer -

"If we do not give thanks daily for the Christian fellowship in which we have been placed, even when there is no great experience, no discoverable riches, but much weakness, small faith and difficulty; if on the contrary we only keep complaining to God that everything is so paltry and petty so far from we expected then we hinder God from letting our fellowship grow according to the measure and riches which are there for us all in Jesus Christ."

------
I could have packed my bags a long time ago (some will say I should have -indeed there's much here I can & have easily found fault with). Career wise & professionally my reputation is in the dumpster so there's lots I could resent about my experience here. And I really don't know what I'll do to provide income for my family.
If however, I miss the bigger picture in all this then I'll view my time here as wasted years - which is essentially a victim mentality.
But I refuse to do that because the time has not been wasted (for example, I've had more freedom musically then ever before & THAT CHURCH helped me to go to Argentina & Brazil and encounter God)
But I still Bonhoeffer is on to something. We are in "how-to-be-church-nursery school."
We can get our crayons out and practice our "ABCs" in the time left or be bitter. Bitterness sucks & lets the assholes win.
Actually though, you guys have made it worthwhile. I don't say it often (cause I'm basically a repressed middle aged male with anti-social/ schzioid affective tendencies with regressive theological tendencies)

MrsQ said...

Wow. Thank you, my friend.

For a "repressed middle aged male with anti-social/ schzioid affective tendencies with regressive theological tendencies", you're one groovy guy, and I like you a lot!

Well, this canary's still singing. For better or for worse. :-)

ProfK said...

Bitterness sucks & lets the assholes win.

LOL! Don't let the bastards drive you down!

I'm with you 'Spy. The us vs. them mentality is the easy out.

Dr.Q