Holy Week Reflections: 2.2 Politics, Money & Power

This year, my elder prophet asked me why people wanted to kill Jesus. Oddly, I had just written a children's sermon for church about Palm Sunday... that ended in Jesus kicking butt with the money changers.
I know that the story hasn't changed over the years, but my perspective has. Back in College I read the story as political v. spiritual revolution and that the crowds wanted a real-time Kingdom of Peace. They didn't realize that Jesus had been talking about a Spiritual Kingdom. That's why the people cried out for his crucifixion - they felt cheated & disappointed.
Then, as an adult trying to live/worship in the flawed congregations of this world, I considered the Temple Courtyard and the cluelessness of the Priests. Jesus was bringing reformation to a misguided and xenophobic church leadership. Jesus wanted folks out of the courtyard because it was supposed to be a place of worship & the business folks were edging in on folk's turf (apparently w/ priestly consent). That's why the priests plotted against him - he challenged their cultural/faith paradigms.
But this year, I noticed an interesting parallel. People who worshiped at the temple were expected to bring money &/or gifts. People from town, who had been members for generations, were given better privileges than folks from out-of-town. And, one specific family line had the control of the place and all of the money it collected.
-- Damn, if that don't sound like the church I attend!
What did Jesus do to this church? He flipped out and scattered money everywhere. The same guy who was celebrating the noisy children and the raucous celebratory crowds... yelled & shouted and turned over tables covered in 'valuables'.
What Jesus values is different than what most folks, even most Christians value. And, Jesus doesn't need or want your money. Rather, Jesus wants your joy, your celebration and your worship.
So - why did people want to kill Jesus? Because of Politics? Theological Differences? Cultural Paranoia? Money? Power?
That joyful crowd of followers quickly became voices of condemnation. May we have the humility to realize when we turn against Christ for selfish ends. Rather, may we live in joy, worshiping our Lord.





No comments:
Post a Comment