28 April 2007

Move Diaries: ch1 Mom For Hire

Well, I rekon it's about time I get my rear in gear and start this whole family relocation thing. It's one thing to make a decision to move (not an easy thing) another thing to swallow, accept, and announce a move (also not an easy thing)... but to actually do it? Well, that seriously sucks.

So, here I am making some real and practical efforts to get this party started. I've brushed off my resume, have career sites bookmarked, have conferred with a sage HR Diva, and I'm ready to start lookin' for work! Yay!

(maybe if we act excited about it, we'll convince ourself to have fun. we hates job hunting. it burns us.)

Every single relocation we've embarked upon has been painful, frightening, and has stretched us out to levels of insanity that I never thought we'd reach. But, I guess that whole 'growth is painful' metaphor holds true:

You never know what you're capable of until you try, and you are going to grow from your efforts, regardless of whether you succeed.

This doesn't mean I have to like it, or even that everything will turn out okay, but there it is. I'll do it, I'll get a job, and everything will be fine. The world will continue to turn. The job may suck, but every job sucks to some degree. I may have to temp for a while before I get something that pays enough, but I've done temp-work before. I may feel like a complete Ho, Hooking myself in interview after interview... but at least my profession isn't the oldest one in the book.

The key (for me, at least) to surviving this move will be to keep my eyes on my goals: To provide for the family, to improve the world one day at a time, and to try and find Peace in the midst of unknown. I fear change, but change happens. Embrace the unknown, look it straight in the eye... and introduce yourself. You learn about yourself and you learn about the Other. Go figure.

Picture from http://www.constructedmeaning.com/cartoons.html
I don't always link 'em, but I liked this guy's stuff.

No comments: