01 June 2007

Too Much [Clutter Level 1]


Overstimulation.

They Tyranny of the Urgent.


The Great 'Rat Race'.


Bread and Circus... on Crack.



People do too many things. The first world lifestyle is cluttered with distraction, overwhelming expectations, endless opportunities, and the constant clutter of recreational escapades. Most people I know are so busy, they don't have time to sit down and have an earnest conversation. They are too distracted to stop and think. And, when they do stop and think, they consider their many obligations, then they realize they've forgotten something, excuse themselves and leave.

Unfortunately, this completely undermines one's ability to enter into the kind of "I-Thou" relationships that are truly beautiful. And if we don't have the time for spiritual bonds with our loved ones, how can we begin to reach out and have spiritual bonds with the unlovable? It is no wonder that people feel lost and alone, even in the midst of social chaos. It is no wonder that families break up and that domestic abuse is so common, when we don't take the time to get to know one another.

I have often said that Vishnu is the Goddess of Mothers, for only a Goddess with so many arms will appreciate that Moms have to work, cook, clean, teach, organize, clean again, drive, attend, carry, coordinate, clean, purchase, balance, document, mandate, remember, clean, correct, punish, teach, and clean...

But, the insanity of this desire for more, and more, and more --
this lust is not unique to women.
It is chronic to our humanity.
And for some, it is terminal to our peace.

1 comment:

Jon Mazarellla said...

I was going to comment but I got too busy...

; )