15 August 2007

Stability - part deux

I've been trying to figure out how to explain my rant about stability... but haven't come up with much. It all still kind of stinks. Last week was pretty evil. Many things went badly.

Presently, the boys are in Virginia, visiting my parents and their cousins. It was great to see my mom, if only for a few hours. I thought she'd hate the city and the neighborhood we moved into - but she was a huge ray of sunshine. She reminded me that we only planned to live in this apartment 'transitionally' until we settle into a real home. She loved the winding wooded roads through the city parks and how close we were to quaint old neighborhoods in need of renovation. In fact, she saw investment potential and spoke about our future 'somedays' when we move into one of those huge fixer-uppers down the road and renovate it into something wonderful.

I love my mom.


Meanwhile - I'm unpacking as much as I can... but it's really tough trying to fit the round peg of our lives into the square hole of our place. It's incredibly discouraging to be surrounded by chaos. It's distracting and frustrating... the last thing I need when I have to focus in order to look for work.


But - the most difficult and painful of the unknown variables of our children's lives is the question about their school. I know I've been spoiled by the public schools of Massachusetts, but by now we would have received their teacher assignments and school supply lists. Here, the principal will only meet with me the week before school starts to even discuss the 'complex situation' of their class sizes. In fact, she said that she may not even know until next week whether she'll be getting another 3rd grade teacher to accommodate their heavy enrollment.
-- AND, it's a k-8 school on a tiny campus. Middle school kids and be really mean... and in the city, being tough is a valid means of survival.

Have I just destroyed my children's innocence?
Have I just thrust upon them the school of pain that will toughen their souls and teach them hatred?

--------

Prayer Requests:

I need a Job.
-- God, please guide me to the right one and prepare a place for me.

The boys need safety.
-- God, please protect the boys and teach them how to love, to laugh, and to play joyfully, even in difficult times.

Our Home needs to be a Safe Place.
-- God, please make this little place be a safe place for family, where we can relax and feel loved.

No comments: