About Fear: Change Bites

We went to Virginia to hang out at my parent's place for the weekend. This was a good thing, because I could chill out, debrief with an adult other than my husband, and be somewhere where I wasn't surrounded by boxes I should unpack. Besides, Mom usually has encouraging things to say.
This morning, as I was gathering our things and packing our bags, Mom told me that while she was reading her little devotional for the day she was thinking of me. She said that --
When you're afraid, it makes it harder to be see the many blessings you have.
Ho yeah. Ain't THAT the truth. I've been struggling with my fear ever since we moved in. I'm constantly afraid that we're going to run out of money, that we'll be robbed, that our car will be stolen, that the kids will be attacked... These concerns have completely consumed me. They are real concerns... but this does NOT mean that I should live my entire life in fear. I cannot allow fear of that which I cannot control - to control me.
Am I still angry? Distrustful? Yeah. Am I still afraid? Yeah.
-- but I have a place to start. I can start by remembering my blessings. I can try to spend more time being thankful and less time being afraid.
Photo Note:
Jim Hodges, Don't Be Afraid, 2004, inkjet on vinyl, 17 x 67 feet, displayed at the Worcester Art Museum courtesy of the artist and CRG Gallery, New York
-- We saw this very cool mural while it was on display in Massachusetts. It's a compilation of the handwriting of UN Officials writing "Do not be afraid" in their own languages.





No comments:
Post a Comment