It's Art, It's Bible, It's a GoogleGadget!
A funny thing happened to me this past week while I was tweaking my Google Homepage. I found a Google Gadget called "Art of the Day" and posted it front and center. Hey, I like art, I go to art museums as often as I can (I even bring the kids!), so I figured it'd be nice to have some pushed out to me.
Well, a few days went by and I realized that all of the themes were biblical. No big deal there - a lot of classical art is biblical. Then, after a week or so, my son asked me about a scene, "The Marriage at Cana" and I started telling him the story it depicted. I wanted to find out more about it - like the date it was painted, so that I could explain how and why it was painted the way it was - and clicked on the link below the picture.
Art and the Bible is an indexing site linking art masterpieces with their scriptural references. You are able to search for art and then link to the scripture, or search scripture to find related classical art. Not only is this very cool for enhancing your experience of the artwork, but it could prove a useful tool for pastors trying to find visual art for sermon illustrations. But, my favourite part is the GoogleGadget. The site offers a simple means by which to feed daily art onto your site... and you can even pick out your own html frame!
Well, given the incredibly narrow size of my current format, I've got the tiniest frame & size block I could get away with. But, you can see the art... and THAT's the important thing.
So swing by the site and enjoy what you find, plug it onto your own site... or swing by here in order to get your daily art fix!





2 comments:
dood, saweet!
Isn't it great?
Some of the works are based on Apocryphal stories I'd never read. So, it's been edu-ma-cational, too!
I actually sent the site a msg telling them I think they rock.
But... there's one unfortunate flaw in the site. Anyone found it yet? ;-)
Post a Comment