20 May 2007

Bad Apologetics and Nietzsche

The most perfidious way of harming a cause consists of defending it deliberately with faulty arguments.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

And this, my friends, is why it really annoys me when Christians make stoopid arguments. When Christians use faulty apologetics actively with non-believers, it completely sucks for everyone. Many times I have watched this train wreck and it makes me very sad.

Heck, from time to time, I've driven the train off the track - experiencing in slow motion the "Oh Shit" that I'd just gone too far, done something dumb and now everyone will know. I've become adept at retracting statements. Sometimes, later follow-up builds greater trust than before. Other times, I wonder if I've just birthed Nietzsche.

2 comments:

Wenatchee the Hatchet said...

Perhaps it's one of those beautiful ironies that Nietzsche just summed up, sort of, an idea I've been mulling over for a few years--that the most heinous heresies and false teachings in Christendom have often come from possibly well-meant but completely stupid attempts at apologetics.

MrsQ said...

You know, I think you've got a great point. In fact, it reminds me of a very interesting lesson I learned a few years back while studying missions and church history...

But that's a story that qualifies for it's own post.

Thanks, Wenatchee!