13 June 2007

Move Diaries: ch2 Parenting Contexts

Micah was born in Philadelphia, when we lived in a basement efficiency near an overpass. We moved to Los Angeles, where we had Jonah in gated Student Housing near gang territory (attack dogs were trained in the empty lot across the street). Then we moved to the Boston area... and lived in a small apartment just outside of the city. The schools are safe, but friends at church and the kids' classmates all live in large homes, some with three car garages... while we have NEVER had a house or a yard.

God blessed us that Q could help raise them while I worked full time. He could study and be with the kids... but it delayed his career a bit. Kids are time consuming. And by working, I've been robbed of most "Mom Experiences" that most... um... ALL of my Christian-esque Associates value. In fact, for the past six years, some women have made me feel like sinful shit for working. Clearly, I'm defying biblical principals by supporting the family. (thanks ladies.)

So, we're moving back to Philadelphia. It's closer to family and Q will teach there... but frankly - I'm scared poopless. I need to find a job. Again. And we need to find housing. Affordable Urban Housing... hopefully in a decent public school district. But, if they get beat up too much, I figure we can switch to private school...


Somedays, I'm really excited to be moving back to Philly -- closer to friends, family, job opportunities for Q, and Christians who understand the Peace and Justice of Christ.

Other days, I'm freaked out about how and where to raise my children, and I SEETHE with envy for the life of the suburban-white stay-at-home soccer moms.

Holy SHIT, living in faith is bloody hard some days...

1 comment:

wezlo said...

That's weird, around here people make Jen feel guilty that she's not out working.