Move Journal Three: In PA nLookin
Friday was evil. I got up early, worked for two hours to prepare my materials for jobs @ Temple by their application deadline, only to have the system fart when I went to post. Apparently, the number of doc attachments are variable per post. Therefore, the clever propoganda cover letters were not required for the jobs. What a bloody waste of time. What's worse, if they do not want cover letters, they probably already have an insider in mind for the jobs but are posting them in order to meet employment law standards. Again, what a bloody waste.
--- then at work, our client host system got seriously DOSed... on the last day of the client's fiscal year, and the day before we go officially live with our hosted services for 07-08 clients. We had to replace a toasted Astaro 425 with a 525 and another 425 in tandem in order to keep a pulse... Fortunately, I'm on vacation this week. So, I' won't have to hang out to apologize to customers for our project manager's lack of foresight and f*ck-off attitudes.
-- then at home I was in a lousy mood and wanted to sulk by myself, right when Q wanted talk talk talk about packing and plans and car stuff and family stuff and the cat... so we got really snippy with each other for awhile. My personal space increases to about 15 feet sometimes. This is a potentially volatile situation when living in a very small apartment. No worries. We made up and mom and dad will be fine... though tired and stressed.
Saturday we drove from MA to PA... including 1 hour of traffic over 10 miles near Trenton. (Jamison - take note. East Coast Traffic bites sometimes. The water flows around the bypass. Breathe deeply of the fumes and allow your fate to pass by you... at 5 miles per hour.) We drove thru philly and dropped of the cat (yes, the cat) with an aunt. I hope she doesnt' get eaten by dogs over the next month. The cat. I hope the cat doesn't get eaten. The aunt will be fine. She's going to a Phillies game today. Then, Q was able to girp an inconsistent signal from his folks' place but I didn't trust it. So, we just hung out and socialized last night. which was good, but unproductive. So...
Today - at this moment - I'm at Panera Bread with the yuppie heathen while rest of the Q clan visit the Q-grandparent's church. Once I finish my Sinky-Cheeze bagel, I will complete a computer skills competency test online and submit some more on-line applications. This evening we will attend church in downtown philly, see a home in Germantown, and call a realtor for an appointment for tomorrow.
... the adventure continues.





5 comments:
Wow. Quite an adventure so far. I don't envy you in some respects, but in other ways I do. I've always done things the "safe" way, making sure we have everything lined up the right way and so forth. There's a certain excitement to what you are doing, just moving to a different city....
As for traffic, yep, the East Coast sucks. I just got quoted in a local newspaper article about this study that rated Minnesota the 2nd most congested freeway system in the country (ya, I think the study was flawed). I made the comment that I was just out in D.C. and that we should feel pretty dang lucky, cause out there it's crap.
About the life thing:
I kinda figure that I once told God I was willing to go anywhere and do anything for the sake of the call... if He wanted me to go to AIDS-ridden War-Torn Africa, I'd go. While I consider myself lucky and God's Grace is truly great... I still would recommend that you be careful what you pray for. :-)
As for the traffic:
There was a recent New Yorker article about people who commute up to three hours each way...
Yuk.
For some people, quality of life has an odd definition.
-- personally, I'm only willing to commute 40 minutes, and because of my desire to be there for the kids, public transportation is OUT. This has always made our relocations... interesting.
But, Work Commute and Quality of Life are kind of intertwined in my little adventure book.
Presently, we're looking for places to live 30-40 minutes from Q's gig and smack in between my east and west job opportunities...
May God have mercy on our souls.
BTW - this is my work search account. please ignore the name all ye who would identity theif here. it ain't worth it, I'm broke.
BTW2 - 2.5 hours to fill out ONE job application online. dang, my 7-employer resume is a pain the arse.
mentally toasty... must... get... more... coffee...
Good luck, I am sorry for your stress - "the water flows around the job applications, the water flows around the job applications" - DANG FREAKING STUPID SERVER ISN'T LETTING ME UPLOAD.....SERENITY NOW!!!!
You know...
SERENITY NOW!!!!
... would make a great thrash-metal band name, don't you think?
I often found head banging in the mosh pit rather meditative -- almost hypnotic. Maybe there's something in that. Hmm....
Post a Comment