28 March 2007

Why am I doing this blogging thing?

So – why resurrect the blog? Why participate in the exhibitionist intellectual masturbation that is the new 'web2.0 culture'?

Well, for many moons, I have considered gratuitous online posting (blogging) to be so much fluff -- a pastime for which I had no patience. I’m a working mother, dammit, and every second counts. Who has time to wax eloquent when there are project deliverables to be met, laundry to put away, and kids to raise! In between reading the Droon Series, doing our taxes, and packing for our next move, I just don’t have time for this crap. Unfortunately, I’ve found myself yelling at people inside of my own skull because no one is around to hear, or wondering if I’m crazy to be thinking what I am about something and having no one to bounce the idea off of (except for Q, and he doesn’t count – he already knows I’m nuts.)

Then, I noticed that The World According to Bruce referred to blogging as an 'alternative to expensive therapy'. That seemed pretty interesting. I’ve done the $200./ counseling session thing before, and found that the counselors did little more than to guide your train of thought to it’s eventual destination and occasionally provide a different perspective on the matter. Now, some folks really need serious psychological help and should see a doctor… but I’m only in the marginally neurotic category and just need a sounding board for my odd dilemmas.
-- So, I figured I’d keep a private journal… but I never got around to it.

Later, I noticed a post by the Internet Monk about 'Fear of Women and their Cute Pink Books'. This one stuck with me for a while -- not only because it’s annoyingly true that men don’t seem to read women’s writing, but also because there isn’t much quality women’s writing out there. Much of what’s out there for & by women is either fundamentalist propaganda or Barbie-Blogging. Who needs that? Someone ougha… why I oughta… So here I am.

And, while I happen to be female and fully expect to rant a bit about Womyn’s Issues from time to time, I also expect to post largely on matters theological/philosophical, ecclesiastic, and odd things adiaphora. For a while, I’ve got some bones to pick. But hang in there – once I stop ranting I’ve got some quirky concepts to spin out... may God, in Her infinite wisdom, have mercy on my soul.
­­­­­­­­­­­­

1 comment:

MrsQ said...

Ah - so that's not too long? Cool.

It's going to take some time to get a feel for this blog-writing thing. Longer than an email, shorter than a sermon. Got it.