Emotion Motion
Emotional Expression. It's a verb. Do it. Grow from it. Don't be so afraid of it.
And don't be so afraid of others who do it.
God gave us emotions, and God can use them to help us grow.
And don't be so afraid of others who do it.
God gave us emotions, and God can use them to help us grow.
I just read a few posts about emotions (or the lack thereof) in Christianity, and it reminded me of this strange little experience:
A little over a year ago, I mentioned to the congregation that I was struggling with depression again and that I really needed prayer. I was up front at the mic at the time (by some unfortunate chance). So, I kind of noticed when one parishioner reacted with a non-verbal "WTF" -- rolled his eyes, leaned forward with his elbows on the pew in front of him, put his furrowed brow in his hands, and glared at some empty space in front of him. Clearly, he didn't like that church was such a downer. His family left shortly after this.
I don't think I caused him to leave. I think that church sincerely was stressing him out. So, they left to go somewhere less stressful. But, I truly believe that the best way to FIX an issue is to talk about it. Running away from it only fixes YOUR little world. It doesn't help anyone else and it undermines your ability to learn from your situation.
Meanwhile, I was in a yucky place. But, prayer is a good thing and God is good. I had fully expected to begin a psychological downward spiral that would need medication and counseling to get out of. That didn't happen. My pastor and my husband were wonderful, supportive and kind. And, for reasons that I would like to blame on God, I developed mild insomnia instead of depression. I didn't feel that life was hopeless, only that I was confused about the world and that I was angry and stressed about our role in this crazy place... it was a bizarre time. But, by sticking it out, by asking for help, by reading, praying, and worshiping in that crazy and yucky place... I grew. I learned. I had some nifty worship experiences. And I eventually came out the other side and started laughing again.
Grace can be comfortable, but sometimes it's not.
Joy can be happy, but sometimes it isn't.
And, Peace isn't Placid Tranquility. It's a journey that gets bumpy sometimes.
Joy can be happy, but sometimes it isn't.
And, Peace isn't Placid Tranquility. It's a journey that gets bumpy sometimes.
Peace Out,
MrsQ
MrsQ





2 comments:
good story...
Yeah. I'm leaving MA with a lot of good stories.
Post a Comment