27 June 2007

Goodbye, my Athiest Friend

Life is complicated.

This week I will say goodbye to an atheist friend. Deep down, we both know that we will never meet again. We may keep in touch for a while, and if we do, we may meet in passing over tea as one of us passes through the other’s city. Most likely it won’t be a deep or intellectual experience. We are too different, will be too far apart, our lives are too busy and once I leave this state I may never return. Besides, I’m a lazy bum who is very bad at keeping in touch with old friends.

Such farewells are difficult for me. As a Christian, I believe that there is an eternal opportunity to meet again. But with my friend, this may not happen.

What can I say? “Become a Christian because I think you’re cool and I want to be able to hang out with you for eternity!” … not the best sell, me thinks. Besides, I am a pretty bad sales person, especially in matters of faith. Such sell tactics seem especially futile for an intelligent, creative, educated woman who just celebrated her 50th birthday, and is entirely at peace with her atheist ideals. She lives life to its fullest, loves others, will work for the good of humanity, and will die and return to the dust of the universe.

This week I will say goodbye to an atheist friend. Deep down, we both know that we will never meet again.

No comments: