Move Journal Six: Way Too Busy
Okay -- much has happened in the past two weeks and I have had very little time on teh internets. So, I shall try to summarize the events and put a lid on the opines for future blog material.
Mon-Tue, July 2-3
I had three interviews with various head-hunter agencies. I've done office temps before in HS, College, and during move situations because it's a great way to get cash/experience while waiting for real job interviews. But this time was different. They loved my resume and my test scores so much, they wanted to put me into mid-management positions. Crap. I know I'm in my 30's, but there's a scary thought.
- The catch: They don't want to talk to me until I have an address. Let's keep in touch, goodbye.
Wed July 4th
I tried to play, but I was stressed out of my mind. I tried to play with the kids, but could only worry about them and their future. I tried to relax with relatives, but all of their little tick-s were annoying my. My personal space tends to get very BIG when I'm stressed out, and Q's family's personal space is very VERY LOW. Fortunately, at the party on the 4th, the boys swam in Aunt A's pool and I could drink spiked coke and smile and nod at complete strangers. It was a pleasant distraction.
Thursday and Friday, July5th-6th
Jim and I tried to find places to live. We had called people who had posted places on Craigslist, we had spoken with realtors, and we had looked in the posting in the paper. Theoretically, we wanted an affordable home (3br house @ < 1000/mo) in a safe area with decent public schools. Our Dear Aunt L (veteran Philly Social Worker) was to interpret safety/school issues. We met up with Aunt L over the city paper for lunch and she gave us a tour...
-- it was very fun at the time, but it confirmed my fears: our expectations were either VERY rare or impossible.
Friday Night-- Dinner at Wezlo's
And then a miracle happened. Q & I (of course) brought our laptops to Wezlo's home, and while the short people got re-aquainted again, we all logged on. I had gotten an email from a Circle of Hope contact we had made. She sent me an email she had gotten Friday at 10am on the church mail list: Large 2 BR Apt for rent at $780/mo in Germantown Av. Aug 1st. I called immediately and booked a viewing for noon. He couldn't show it in the morning because there was a church meeting he was attending (!!!).
Saturday
We saw the place. It was very cool. Spacious w/ 12foot cielings and stone walls, the olde kitchen for the olde house is in our 1st floor. The property is owned by a Mennonite Organization. There are a few dozen 20-30 something urban peace-church people in the neighborhood, some in the same building, and about 5 small-groups in walking distance. The neighborhood is blended. The public schools are 95% Af-Am (probably because white folks tend to go charter, private, or to move away upon procreation) but there are more street-corner churches than corner bars in the area - so the schools should be safe for my white boys. Instant Urban Village, just add the Q Family.
-- We signed the lease.
Later, we dropped the boys off w/ my mom in Gettysburg. They'll play in Olde VA w/ cousins while Q & I scramble.
Sunday, July 8th
After church & lunch w/ Q's Folks, we drove back up to MA.





No comments:
Post a Comment