Foul Biodiversity
Today was a feeding frenzy at my bird feeders. I understand that it usually is pretty wild in the afternoons, but i only am able to enjoy it on the weekends... if I'm here.
So, today I saw, feeding simultaneously together:
- Red-breasted Grossbeak (male)
2 Red-breasted Grossbeaks (female)
1 Male and 1 Female Cardinal
2 Morning Doves
Black-capped Sparrows (too fast to count)
... heck, I think a squirrel even came up to visit a bit.
But it only takes one bluejay to spoil it. The bluejay is a loud bird that will cry like a hawk as it lands in order to scare other birds away from the food. Then, it's a messy and greedy eater, throwing food around until it finds the seed it wants. But, I'm glad it eats the seeds, because a hungry bluejay will attack the nests of other birds and eat their eggs. So, I tolerate the bluejay at the feeder, and only chase it away when it bullies the smaller birds. Yup. The bluejay will chase away smaller birds, sometimes just for sport. Only the Doves and Cardinals are strong willed enough to stand up to the bluejay.





No comments:
Post a Comment