28 June 2007

Move Journal Two: Ouch

so, I get up early today and look over some job boards. There's another position posted at a University I like! I put together the materials, gather some phone numbers for follow-up calls, shower, dress, and head off to work.

at work, everything the could go wrong did go wrong. we have 30 new clients going live next week... right when our masochist CEO decided to close the office for a week. just for fun. So, I'm trying to get things ready for our closure so that new clients don't freak, when our old clients start calling with lots of problems. THEN, our firewall for the webmail systems that we host for our clients crash... at the off site facility 20 miles away. Crap. please note.... I'M THE ONE WHO ANSWERS THE SUPPORT LINE. Fun.

Well, in spite of the fact that I have 1-3 lines blinking at a time for some hours, I walk away from my desk for 'lunch' in order to go outside and make some calls. i checked in with a bunch of places to which I've applied. Verified the email address to which I should send that letter I wrote at six am, and head back into my cubicle hell.

After 5, I allow myself the indulgence of printing off some cover letters and checking my email. apparently, my wonderful hubbie found some cool places to live in Philly... if only we can get down there fast enough to sign a lease. We'll have to see how that goes.

Head home to Q, who has made wonderful dinner. Help set the table and sit down with the boys to talk about the day's adventures. Sigh heavily. Q goes for groceries, the elder padawan showers, and I take a quick nap on the sofa.

Then, dishes, laundry, and pull out the keyboard. Time to write more cover letters. Put the kids to bed (tonight, we read Squids will be Squids), then write some more. I applied to two more jobs, was about to log off at 10:00... when I noticed that the deadline for applications for a Bus Mngr job at Temple is 5:00pm tomorrow. Dangit.

So, I pull it all back up and write another cover letter, go to post it... and they have their own little Monster-like Job Application System. We hates those. They burns us. I've worked in so many places for so many years in such diverse situations, it takes me forever to fill these things out. But, I'm getting fast at these things, because at 11:58 I submitted my application.

I'm tired. I'm going to go sleep now. 'night!

2 comments:

ProfK said...

I wuv u.

Sarah G. said...

Ah, but there's another bugger to the day...

That post that ended at 5:00?
This morning i noticed three others on the same timeline. So, I scrambled to pull together coverletters specific to each post. I went thru the application/resume posting process for each of them...

And the computer wouldn't let me post the cover letters on two of the three positions.

Another hour or so wasted, when I could have been doing a million other things.

BUT it is better to have had the cover letters ready and not used them than to have needed the cover letters and not had them ready.