24 June 2007

To smudge or not to smudge --

Thinking that the title in the header was hard to read, I softened the right side of the graphic with bush stroke smudges... but I'm not sure that it's any better than before. Q thinks I should fade to black, or green or a solid on that side, but I think that a fade-out would make it look imbalanced. Perhaps one night this week I shall try to adjust the focus on that side to make it look more like a distant photo-shot and less like a toddler chalk-drawing.

Brain candy.
Picture tweaking is a pleasant end of the day unwind. Yes?

BTW - image modification ideas are always welcome. I still haven't tamed my gimp. We only know a few tricks.

6 comments:

Calvin Park said...

What about a water ripple effect on that side of the image? You could center it under the text. The ripples could quickly lengthen, and you could even continue it over the entire image if you wanted.

MrsQ said...

hmmm... that sounds like fun. I'll have to play with that!

Is there a ripple feature or would I have to play with layered size/focus shifts?
-- the adventure contineues.

PS: MA RMV hates you. I once had my car impounded because they didn't have verification of my insurance. My valid insurance card wasn't good enough. Oh... and according to my MA Driver's License, my Sex is "M" (good thing that's okay in this state, eh?)
Buck up my friends, sometimes life just happens. :-)

Calvin Park said...

You could do it with layered size and focus, but I'm pretty sure that GIMP has a ripple effect, though I could be wrong since I haven't messed with it that much recently.

As for MA - yeah. But as you say, life happens. Guess I just have to deal with that.

Anonymous said...

Instead of smudge, use blur.

I'm not sure if GIMP has a blur brush, but if not, you can put a layer mask on then blur the whole thing and uncover that side in the mask.

If you don't know how, or if I'm speaking Greek (or Swahili, you have greek speakers in that household) just fire me the file and I'll show you. It's simple to do, a bit more complex to explain.

qaswedfr said...

That advice about Blur was from me. I'm on someone else's PC. Sorry. :)

MrsQ said...

Thanks for the tip!

Well, I messed with the blur, but sans layers. i just blocked off a section & blurred it. moved & blured. repeat.

I might but a block of color around it tomorrow night and re-post... but after that I'm online from Panara only. So my access will be entirely job-hunt related.

(have I mentioned lately that I had job hunting?)